4.2.14

Tales from my town, part who knows what

Someone knocked on my door just now (6pm). Dogs (I have an extra one for the week) went nuts. I looked out--tall bloke in the shadows. "Yes?", I said. No answer. Ah well, grabbed the dogs and opened the door. He stretched out his hand, palm up and there was Dog's name tag (which I'd not even noticed was missing). I took it and thanked him.
He finally looked up, said "You spelled her name wrong. Hanna is with "A"".
"It's expensive to make a new one," I said (easier than arguing. Besides, Hanna is with an A. It's just not Dog's name)
"They're pretty", he said again (Dog 2 is a golden retriever. Dog is...well Dog)
"Thanks. Where did you find it?"
"Near the pond" (This is the Duck Pond, which is about 3 miles away)

I've been wondering what I'd have done if I found a dog's name tag anywhere. Well, we all know what I'd have done. Ignored it and left it on the ground. I'm almost 100% certain that would be my reaction. Maybe, if I were filled with the milk of human kindness on that day (unlikely), I'd have rung the number on the tag and told the person. There's absolutely no way I'd have gone to the person's home, miles from where I found it, and given it to them in person.

I'm a grump. 

No comments: